Samaria Gorge: Beginner's Route (Chania)
Experience the traditional side of Crete and see the National Park of Samaria in a tour for the whole family!
Marvel at the natural beauty of the Samaria Gorge through this tour especially designed for beginners in hiking. See picturesque Cretan villages, take a culinary journey to traditional Cretan cuisine and end your experience with a swim on the Libyan Sea, on the south coast of Crete.
Highlights: Omalos Plateau, Samaria Gorge, Agia Roumeli Beach, Sougia villageStarting point: Pickup is only conducted in designated locations around Chania Starting time: 05:20 am
There is no better way to experience the real side of Crete, than to set foot on the island's unspoiled soil, swim in its crystal waters and stroll down its traditional villages. This family friendly tour of the Samaria Gorge and surrounding villages will give you the opportunity to do all three.
A National Park and World's Biosphere Reserve, the Samaria Gorge is a scar on the spine of Crete, but one so uniquely beautiful that you wish it never goes away. Extending 13 km long (8 miles), the ravine is home to several endemic species, with the most prominent being the goat Kri-kri, which can't be found anywhere else in the world.
Early in the morning, you will be picked up from designated spots around Chania via a luxurious bus and reach the starting point of your tour in Omalos Plateau around 7am. The panoramic view of the gorge from the plateau is a photophile's delight, so after short stop for pictures and/or breakfast, you will hop on the bus and depart for the traditional village of Sougia. It is there that you will hop on a boat and sail along the coast of Crete till you reach Agia Roumeli.
With ample time on your hands, you can start a short hike inside the gorge up until the Iron Gates, the narrowest part of the canyon, at only 4 meters (13 feet) width. Alternatively, at the beach at the end of the gorge, you can take a swim in the warm Libyan Sea and even enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch!
At around 16:30 you will meet again with the rest of your group as well as your hiking escort returning from the hike of the gorge and board the boat back to the village of Sougia, where you will start your trip back to the place where you were picked up from.
- Tour Duration: around 15 hours
- Pick up/Drop off is conducted only is select spots in Chania. Depending on your location, you will be advised on the time and place after booking.
- Please note that the hiking escort will be with you until Omalos Plateau. You will meet again at Agia Roumeli with the rest of the Samaria Gorge group.
- At Agia Roumeli, you can enter the gorge and hike up until the Iron Gates. Admission fee is not included.
- Be sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes for the trek through the gorge
- It is advisable to bring the following items with you: sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- It is important to stay hydrated, so bring a bottle of water (you can refill it in the gorge's springs) and a light snack (fruits etc.)
- You can swim at Agia Roumeli beach just after you exit the gorge so make you have a swimsuit and beach towel with you
- All passengers are required to wear protective masks during transportation