Imbros Gorge Hiking (Chania)
Enjoy a casual hike through the Imbros Gorge, which is ideal for beginners. Visit Sfakia and experience a side of Crete steeped in tradition.
This hiking tour is ideal for beginners as it is conducted in a leisurely pace. Stroll through the narrow and picturesque canyon of Imbros and visit traditional Cretan villages in Sfakia.
Highlights: Imbros Gorge, Komitades Village, SfakiaStarting point: Pickup is only conducted in designated locations around Chania Starting time: 08:30am
The Imbros Gorge is located in the province of Sfakia and is the second largest gorge in Crete after Samaria. The picturesque scenery and its wilderness, in combination with the low difficulty of traversing it, make the descent of Imbros ideal for families wanting to expose children to the beauty of nature.
The place has a great historical significance as the gorge witnessed an evacuation of several thousands of British soldiers during World War II before heading to Egypt. Back then, the Imbros Gorge mule trail was the only connection between Chania and Sfakia, before the road was built. Remains of this trail can be still seen today.
In the morning, a luxurious air-conditioned bus will pick you up from select locations around Chania and transport you to the gorge's entry point. There you will have some free time to take pictures or have some breakfast before you begin your hike. In a leisurely pace, the gorge can be traversed in about 2.5 hours. Almost half-way through, you will reach the narrowest point of the gorge at 1.6 meters (5.2 feet). Behind your group, there will always be a hiking escort to ensure everyone's safety and provide assistance if needed.
The gorge ends at Komitades village, from where you will depart for Sfakia, one of the most traditional Cretan villages. There you will have around 3 hours to divide between swimming in the warm Mediterranean waters and enjoying a Cretan meal in one of the local taverns.
Early in the evening you will board the bus back to your original pick up points.
- Tour Duration: around 11 hours
- Pick up/Drop off is conducted only is select spots in Chania. Depending on your location, you will be advised on the time and place after booking.
- Be sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes for the trek through the gorge
- It is advisable to bring the following items with you: sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- It is important to stay hydrated, so bring a bottle of water (you can refill it in the gorge's springs) and a light snack (fruits etc.)
- In Sfakia you have the option to take a swim so make you have a swimsuit and beach towel with you
- The entrance fee to Imbros is paid with cash on the spot
- Please note that the following are prohibited inside the gorge: radios, singing, excessive noise, disposal of rubbish in places other than those provided, smoking anywhere other than the rest points, consumption of alcohol.
- All passengers are required to wear protective masks during transportation