Preveli Palm Beach (Chania)
A tropical paradise in the middle of the Mediterranean!
Visit the magnificent palm beach of Preveli formed by the Great River that flows through the Kourtaliotis gorge in a unique landscape that blends Caribbean elements with Cretan natural beauty!
Highlights: Preveli Palm Beach, Kourtaliotis Gorge, Damnoni Beach, Plakias VillageStarting point: Pickup is only conducted in designated locations around Chania Starting time: 08:30am
In the morning, we will pick you up from select spots around Chania with an air-conditioned luxurious bus and head towards our tropical destination. We will pass through Rethymno, making our way to Damnoni beach, where you will board the boat to Preveli.
One of the most famous beaches in Crete, Preveli has been a famous attraction since the 60s, when it served as a haven for the Bohemian youth of the era. It is located at the exit of the Great River, whose banks are lined with palm beach trees thus giving the beach a distinct look for the Mediterranean. Because the river flows through the Kourtaliotis gorge, it forms a small lake, before emptying into the sea, which has earned the beach the nickname of Lake Preveli. You can walk along the river, under the shade of palm and other trees, and start ascending in the beautiful canyon, or even take a swim in the cold ponds formed in the gorge. Be sure to check out the heart-shaped rock formation on the east side!
After spending plenty of time in Preveli, we will proceed to the village of Plakias, where you will have time to explore, pick up some souvenirs or grab a quick bite and sample the delightful Cretan cuisine which combines Mediterranean ingredients and Oriental spices.
On our way back, we will stop at Kourtaliotis gorge to take pictures. The gorge is an important biotope, since rare species of birds of prey live in the caves formed on its slopes. After you have taken enough shots to make even your most well-traveled friends jealous, we will hop back on the bus and return to your drop off points around Chania.
- Duration: 10-11 hours
- Pick up/Drop off is conducted only is select spots in Chania. Depending on your location, you will be advised on the time and place after booking.
- Pick up/Drop off service includes some stops in Rethymno (apprx. duration 30 minutes)
- Boat ticket from Damnoni beach to Preveli needs to be paid with cash on the spot
- It is recommended that you bring the following items: sunscreen, sunglasses, beach towels, swimsuit and camera
- Please note that rubbish disposal and taking seashells from the beach is strictly prohibited.